Organic farming is a method of agriculture that resists the heavy usage of harmful chemicals in favor of composting, green manure, crop rotation, and biological pest control. To be certified as organic, farms must follow specific guidelines from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
One of the key requirements for organic certification is that farmers use only approved materials and practices on their crops, meaning no synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
So, how do you control pests and weeds on a large, organic farm? That's where crop spraying services come in.
What are crop spraying services, and why do you need them?
Crop spraying services provide a safe, effective, and large-scale way to control pests and weeds on organic farms, and are essential to organic farming. While organic farmers must meet the strict requirements for organic certification to produce high-quality, organic crops, they can still use a mix of approved products to target specific pests or weeds through crop spraying services.
What products are approved for use on organic farms?
While commercial farmers use farm crop spraying solutions that include harmful chemicals and pesticides, organic farmers have other options, including:
- Neem oil. Neem oil is a kind of oil derived from a neem tree that you can use to control pests and weeds on organic farms. It is safe and effective, and it helps you meet the strict requirements for organic certification.
- Pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is another option for organic farmers. It is derived from pyrethrum, which is a kind of chrysanthemum. Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide that you can use to control pests on your organic farm.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is also an approved material for organic farmers. It works by breaking down the plant's cell walls and killing the weed.
- Copper sulfate. Copper sulfate is a type of copper used to control algae and fungi on your organic farm.
- Stinging nettles. Stinging nettles are a type of plant that you can use to control aphids, whiteflies, and other pests on your organic farm. The nettles are used to create a soap that is applied to plants to battle pests.
All of the above are considered 'soft chemicals.' In other words, they act like chemicals and can be used by crop spraying services on organic farms, but they are safe for humans and animals.
What are the benefits of using an organic crop spraying service?
There are many benefits of using an organic crop spraying service, including:
- Safe for you, your family, your workers, and the environment
- An effective way to control pests and weeds
- Helps you meet the strict requirements for organic certification
- A cost-effective way to control pests and weeds on your farm
If you are an organic farmer, you should consider using an organic crop spraying service.